Saturday, March 14, 2009

Egg, eggs, and more eggs

I love eggs. They are so versatile - you can eat them for breakfast. lunch and dinner. 

At breakfast, one of the favorite items for people to eat here at Frog's Leap Inn, is a baked egg.

Talk about simple! And the variety... well, let's just say that you are only limited by your imagination and the ingredients you have on hand when you go to bake an egg.

You will need a few of those oven-proof ramekins - I use a 4-ounce  (I think. Mine are so old the size has worn off the bottom). Any way - its the perfect size.

First set your oven to 425 degrees. Spray or brush the inside of your cups with oil (canola is what I use.) Break one large egg into each dish. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and cracked pepper over each egg - then add you spices (again about a pinch). I like to use fresh lemon thyme from my garden. 

Pour about a tablespoon of heavy cream (you can use sour cream or plain yogurt if you prefer) over the egg ( I know, I know, the calories... the fat... but it tastes so good.)

Then shred about a tablespoon of your favorite cheese over the top (I often use Cabot's Hunter Extra Sharp Cheddar). Put them on a tray and place it in the oven - depending on how well your oven is calibrated - and how you like to eat your eggs - soft, medium, hard - this step takes 8 or more minutes.

Have fun with this - these are fast, simple and delicious. If you use flavored cheeses such as Cabot's Tuscany Cheddar, Graft Cheese's Sage Cheddar, Taylor Farm's Caraway Gouda, West River Creamery's Feta and Spice blend (I think you get the picture) - then you don't have to add any spices other than pepper and salt.

Of Course, when I am baking these for guests, I don't have time to stop and take a picture of them. These are my daughters' favorites though - so maybe I should invite them over and make them and take a picture for this post. When I do, I'll add a photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment